Sunday, October 10, 2010

Urban verse Rural?

When it comes to horseback riding, there are two different styles that are very common among the horse industry. In my mind, I tend to classify them as an urban style and a rural style which would be known more commonly as English verses Western. Is this a correct assumption to make about each of these styles of riding? Up until just a few years ago I would have answered yes to this question, but now my views and experiences with horseback riding styles is much broader and more open.

I have been riding horses before I was even old enough to crawl. I began riding on my own when I was only two years old and got my first pony. Throughout all of these years, I was literally born and raised in a Western saddle. I am very much a country or rural girl who loves living out in the wide open countryside with endless space all around me. Therefore, Western riding has always been the common style that my family and many of my friends usually ride.




It was not until
about four years ago that I decided to try riding English style. This was a whole new learning experience for me as I had never even been exposed much to the technique or equipment used. I had always thought of the English style as the urban method of riding which was more commonly found in the city locations. However, what I quickly came to realize is how much I enjoyed riding in this new and unfamiliar style.


I was very wrong in assuming that these two types of riding were vastly different from one another or that they had to be ridden based upon certain settings. It is true that both English and Western riding may be found more commonly in either the city or the country, but they are not limited to these places. Growing up I believed that Western was the only technique for me, however, my knowledge and success as a rider has increased drastically due to the new experiences I exposed myself to. Although, the feel of riding in a Western saddle will forever feel more like home to me, I will always enjoy expanding my experiences while learning more about English. Let me know what ya’ll think. Later Partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment