Sunday, October 17, 2010

Gonna Eat Dirt?

Have you ever heard the saying, “You are not a true cowboy or cowgirl until you have ate dirt”? Growing up, I lost track of how many times I was told that I had to be bucked off of my horse before I could become a real cowgirl. Many of my riding friends would tease me none stop about how funny it would be if I landed in the mud or gave my own personal rodeo. Well, I have been riding horses for over seventeen years now and I have definitely had my fair share of unplanned dismounts and multiple taste testings of dirt! But ya’ll know what? They were right! Throughout the many years that I have spent riding on the back of a horse, each fall, each bump or bruise, and each time I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and climbed back into that saddle has made me a better rider and a true cowgirl.

I can still remember the first time that I ever got thrown off of my pony when I was only three years old. I hit the ground hard in a face-plant that knocked the air right out of my lungs. I cried and my little body hurt, but I will always remember the words that my dad told me, “You have to get back in that saddle Sweetheart. I know you are scared, and I know that you don’t want to but you cannot give up”. If my dad had just let me have my own way back when I was just a little girl who was ready to quit, I would have regretted that decision for the rest of my life. I love horses and would not give up my chance to ride for ANYTHING! I am sure that you will agree with me when I say that there is absolutely no other feeling like the one of riding a horse. We all have our stories about the times we have had to climb back into the saddle, whether scary or funny. And if you have not… do not worry your time is coming! I would love to hear the stories you have and would be willing to share, so let me know what ya’ll think. Later Partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment