Saturday, October 9, 2010

Real Ridin'

My co-writer, Raye, wrote an interesting article recently about a great place to get away for the weekend and ride. This got me thinking about all of the great places throughout Indiana where you can take your horses trail riding. My family has always really enjoyed going on vacations in which we pack up the horses and travel to campgrounds located in many different state parks. There are hours of trails throughout beautiful woods where you can just enjoy nature’s beauty.

If you have never been trail riding before, I highly suggest you go! It is an incredible experience that once you have gone for the first time, you will be going again and again. Through my own personal experiences, the experiences of my close friends, and some helpful horse trail websites (DNR Parks & Reservoirs and Horse Trails Directory), I have created a list of the top five campgrounds with horse trails in Indiana that I would recommend.


1. Brown County State Park

I have been riding here a couple of times and absolutely loved it. If you are interested in finding some more rugged and experienced trails this is the place for you.

2. Clark State Forest

This is a site that is on my list of places to go soon. I have never been here, but I have heard many good things about the trails and campgrounds from my close friends.

3. Midwest Trail Ride

This is another location to add to my list but I am certain that it is a beautiful and wonderful place to ride. Everyone I have talked to recommends it highly as great trail riding.

4. O’Bannon Woods

Once again I have not been riding here yet but plan to soon. I have seen many gorgeous pictures of the trails and campgrounds. My friends really enjoy going here.

5. Salamonie Lake

I have ridden here numerous times and always enjoyed it. Some of the trails are definitely suited more for experienced riders but it is a wonderful campground and location.


This is definitely just a short list of the places in Indiana to go horseback riding. There are many additional locations within the state but even more outside of Indiana. I hope that you will take my advice and do some real ridin’ every chance you get. Let me know what ya’ll think. Later Partner!


No comments:

Post a Comment